My friend and I have said for a year now that if only we could get our basements clean, the rest of the house could follow. We need the space down there to store the extra stuff we can't get rid of from the main floors. Well, nothing inspires a clean basement like finding water under a basket in the middle of the floor. I went downstairs this morning to get some towels for my shower (since I am behind on laundry too!) and when I picked up the basket....water. Ugh.
I started my day buying plastic bins to store all this "precious" stuff. After that short shopping trip, I came home and blitzed the clutter. We found stuff we haven't touched in 7 years of living in this house. We found plenty of things someone else might treasure if wasn't hidden in our dungeon. We even found a few things that will actually be useful and therefore, we decided to keep them. In the end what I found was that we actually didn't need the gigantic totes after all. Most of the stuff already has or will soon be leaving the house. It now feels like a privilege to go down to my newly cleaned basement. Hopefully it remains in its current condition for a while.
The last thing I need is a leaky basement but it's kind of hard to avoid with all the rain we've been getting. What it taught me though is that there is a lot I can get rid of if given the proper motivation. And maybe our flowers will bloom early so we can enjoy spring a little longer!
No comments:
Post a Comment