Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Motivation

Over a year ago I decided to train for a half-marathon.  Yes, I decided to run for 13.1 miles.  I know it sounds crazy but my mind set when I heard someone else talking about it was "If she can do it, I can too."  That proved to be good motivation for me to get in the habit of running.  I found a training schedule that gave me a good rough estimate of what to run and when.  I then adapted it to my own life and truthfully, didn't do all the work it recommended.  Race day came and there I was.  At the start line of my very first race, 13.1 miles.  Yikes!  My goal was just to finish.  I not only did that but did it in much less time than I expected.
The problem after that was that I had no more goal to work towards.  I stopped running.  I realized I hadn't been a runner for the enjoyment of it but the challenge.  In the next 6 months I ran about 3 times and it was a chore.
This year I decided I needed to incorporate exercise into my life again for many reasons.  That motivated me to get my running shoes back on and go to the gym.  I actually enjoyed it.  I was glad that I went by the time I got home and decided I needed a little motivation to keep me running.  What did I do?  I decided to do the half-marathon again and I even recruited a running buddy!  The challenge of having someone to keep up with is powerful to me.  I don't want to be left behind when she takes off at that start line.  So I got out my training schedule again and set my mind to it.  In the last couple weeks I realized that I am a runner.  I enjoy it.  It makes me feel good.  I look forward to the challenge.  I don't have to make myself go now.  I actually want to run.  What a difference.
I still like having the challenge of setting a goal and being accountable to a friend to keep improving but I have finally crossed that line from "someone who runs" to "a runner." 

No comments:

Post a Comment